The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults is now the Order of Christian Initiation of Adults
The OCIA ( Formerly RCIA) Is A Program For Adults 18 Years Or Older
The Order of Christian Initiation of Adults (OCIA formerly RCIA) is primarily a process of Christian formation for adults seeking to become full members of the Roman Catholic Church. It is designed for non-baptized men and women, adults previously baptized into another Christian faith, and Catholics who did not complete all of their Sacraments of Initiation – Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. It is a gradual process during which enquirers can grow in faith and become full members of the Catholic Church (USCCB).
CALLED, LED, NURTURED BY THE SPIRIT
We invite all those who have not been able to complete their Sacraments of Initiation, and those who would like to become Roman Catholics, to enquire about the 2023-2024 RCIA program of preparation which will begin in September 2023. Sessions will be held on Tuesdays from 6:30 PM until 8:30 PM in Rm. 212 of the Christian Formation Center. The program will run from September 2023 to the end of April 2024. In order to join the OCIA (RCIA) program please follow the registration process outlined below.
- Print the Diocesan Registration Form from this website or obtain one from the Parish Office.
- Complete and submit the registration form to the Parish Office and request an interview with a Priest.
- If you have been baptized bring a copy of your Baptismal Certificate with you to the interview.
If you are 18 years or older and want to know more about the OCIA (RCIA) Program, please call the office at 561-483-2440.
GODPARENTS & SPONSORS
Godparents and Sponsors are persons who have known and assisted the Catechumens and Candidates and stand as witnesses to the their moral character, faith, and intention. Godparents and Sponsors accompany the catechumens and candidates primarily at the Rite of Acceptance, the Rite of Election, and at the celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation. Godparents and Sponsors should be chosen by the catechumens on the basis of spiritual example, good qualities, and friendship. They should be approved by the Priest. Godparents and Sponsors should be chosen before the Rite of Election. A Godparent and Sponsor should:
- Be at least 16 years of age and mature enough to undertake this responsibility;
- Have received the three Sacraments of Initiation – Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist;
- Be a member of the Roman Catholic Church. A baptized and believing Christian from a separated church or community may act as a godparent or Christian witness along with a Catholic godparent, at the request of the parents or Catechumen, and in accordance with the norms for various ecumenical cases.
- Not be under canonical penalty. This also means that they are not restricted from receiving the Eucharist during Mass.
- Live a life of faith
- Not be the mother or father
Not be a Catholic living in an invalid civil marriage
COMPLETION OF THE SACRAMENTS OF INITIATION April 8, 2023
The Elect and the Candidates from the 2022-2023 RCIA Program were fully received into the Catholic Church by Rev. Eduardo Medina and Rev. Jose Pelagio Padit at the Easter Vigil on Saturday, April 8, 2023. The work of the Holy Spirit through the Church never ceases and the joy of becoming full members of the Catholic Church was shared by all present. Let us pray that they will continue to accept the graces available to them through the Sacraments.